KPC Honoured in international petroleum forum Class

KPC was one of the star participants in a recent global petroleum forum held in Canada recently. The KPC team of top executives joined other business leaders in Oil and Gas at Calgary, Alberta, Canada for the 49th Global Oil and Gas Show between 13th and 15th June, 2017. This is an industry event where energy professionals from more than 90 countries converge for 3 days to strengthen business relationships, network and do business with more than 1000 exhibitors. This year, there were over 50,000 professionals in attendance from over 90 countries making it one of the largest oil and gas forums in the world.

Among the high profile speakers at the conference was KPC Managing Director Joe Sang who was accompanied by Dr Jonah Aiyabei (Director Morendat Institute of Oil and Gas), Engineer Billy Aseka (General Manager, Infrastructure) and Simon Sang (Ag. Chief Business Development Officer). Sang spoke to the global audience on opportunities and partnerships in Kenya and the region which offer eastern Africa a cost competitive advantage as far oil and gas investments are concerned. Besides the presentation, Sang was also a panellist in a CEOs perspective on Oil and Gas growth.

Mr Sang said that Africa has plenty of resources to thrive and they just need to be harnessed properly. “Our people in Africa and more particularly Kenya are strong, innovative and resourceful. However, we are lacking adequate capacity in specialized upstream Oil and Gas skills. We have an abundance of wind, sun for 365 days a year, geothermal deposits, and even hydro. And we sit on largely unexplored oil and Gas reserves,” he observed.
He took the opportunity to reaffirm Kenya’s commitment in welcoming investors to oil and gas sector. “Let me be clear on one thing,” he said. “The biggest one for us is to utilise the God given oil reserves in Kenya and Eastern Africa region to the benefits of the nationals, noting that the world will need oil and gas for decades to come. Kenya and other East African economies rely on hydrocarbon fuels to meet their energy needs. There is need to develop our renewable energy as we simultaneously develop the oil and gas industry. Africa needs more innovation in energy provision, not less of it,” the KPC boss told the audience.

The CEO also pointed out an often-forgotten fact. “Let’s remember, that the success in oil and gas business in Africa is highly hinged to human resources capacity development. This should be enhanced in Africa so that the countries not only enjoy oil royalties but also employ the youth” He added that as a community of nations, there is need and sense to support Eastern Africa achieve true energy independence and reduce skills dependency in the industry. “I am happy to inform you that KPC has already established Morendat Institute of Oil and Gas and that we are here to seek partners so that we can use the Oil and Gas Institute to develop the needed local content in Oil and Gas,’ he announced’
In line with KPC vision of Africa’s Premier Oil and Gas Company, KPC targets to play in upstream, midstream and downstream business. The MD informed the show attendees that the business of KPC in 2025 will be diversified. “We are projecting a turnover of USD 1,500 billion and profit before tax of USD 800 million by year 2025. He added that pipeline transport and storage business which now contributes 100% of PBT will contribute 78% in the year 2025 and the other 22% will be from new business lines such as LPG and the training school’’.
On the sidelines of the Global Petroleum Show, the Minister of Energy for Alberta Madam Margaret McCuaig-Boyd held discussions with Mr Sang touching on potential partnership between the Government of Alberta and KPC.
The Kenyan delegation also visited South Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), a leading trainer in Oil and Gas in Alberta. The benchmark visit was aimed at understanding the areas of synergies and collaborations that SAIT and MIOG may pursue. KPC will continue to engage with Canadian institutions as they develop a state of the art oil and gas school to build a requisite human resource potential for Africa.

Kpc